Bringing a sense of fun and magic for residents this Easter.
The staff at Birchwood House held a quirky ‘Alice in Wonderland’ themed Mad Hatter’s Tea Party for the residents of our Speldhurst care home, to bring a sense of fun and magic to all this Easter.
Following on from the success of the Winter Wonderland-themed Christmas party, the event was carefully planned for the residents as a complete surprise. The tea party was held on 31st March 2021.
Amazing décor and costumes
Thanks to our talented staff, the dining room of our care home was transformed into a magical and majestic wonderland. Combining amazing décor with eccentric character costumes, each member of the team worked to produce an experience that mesmerized our residents.
All our staff re-created some of the most fantastical and quirky scenes from Alice in Wonderland. Details such as an enchanted forest themed backdrop, Alice herself sipping tea with the residents along with a life-size Cheshire Cat and bright and vibrant colours featured. Everyone really got behind the story and gave it their all.
Food was themed around the story with ‘Eat Me, Drink Me’ labels displayed on each item. There was a full spread for all to indulge in, including jam tarts, cheese straws, finger sandwiches and sausage rolls, as well as a fabulous centrepiece cake. The food went down extremely well with all our guests and was planned and baked by our very own chef Anne.
All our Birchwood team took every step to make sure our residents felt like they had stepped into a magical wonderland, ensuring to bring these captivating scenes to life with little details such as their very own Queen of Hearts.
Claire Tye, our Deputy Manager at Birchwood House, adds, “Here at Birchwood House, we always like to go above and beyond to make sure the residents smile. After what can only be described as the strangest most challenging year for us all, we wanted to create a scene of magic and joy to lift the spirits of all. By theming our Easter event around the all-time classic that is Alice in Wonderland, we have been able to create magic and couldn’t wait to surprise the residents!”
We can’t wait to plan more events at Birchwood this year and have already started planning the next one. Our events have become an important morale-boosting initiative for residents and staff alike and give us the chance to all come together and show our creativity.
Other articles you may like
- The difference between care homes and retirement villagesThe difference between a care home and a retirement village As many adults enter the later stages of theirContinue reading “The difference between care homes and retirement villages”
- Win a harvest vegetable hamperWould you like to be a winner? We’re giving away a Harvest Vegetable Hamper with the October issue ofContinue reading “Win a harvest vegetable hamper”
- Forget a siesta as residents fiesta Mexican styleResidents at Birchwood House joined in the fun Last week we held a Mexican-themed party, complete with sombreros, ponchosContinue reading “Forget a siesta as residents fiesta Mexican style”
- National Eye Health Week in focusGood eye health and the need for regular eye tests is vital, especially as you age. National Eye HealthContinue reading “National Eye Health Week in focus”
- Power of AttorneyBetter care for the elderly evident as rising number of people register for power of attorney Power of attorneyContinue reading “Power of Attorney”
- Looking after historic Birchwood House is Ian’s roleAfter 30 years in the building industry, Ian can turn his hand to many types of work. Which isContinue reading “Looking after historic Birchwood House is Ian’s role”
- Respite care for the elderly and how it supports the carerA quick reference guide to respite care Respite care is a short-term stay, often around one to two weeks, inContinue reading “Respite care for the elderly and how it supports the carer”
- Birchwood House residents travel back to medieval timesOur residents and staff travelled back in time to enjoy a medieval themed summer party held within our 9Continue reading “Birchwood House residents travel back to medieval times”
- Meet Activities Co-ordinator ZoeKeeping the residents at Birchwood House mentally and physically active is the job of Activities Co-ordinator Zoe. Zoe hasContinue reading “Meet Activities Co-ordinator Zoe”