Choosing a home for a loved one is a considered decision, but one that Kathleen Holmwood made with ease. Her mum, Eileen, had been using Birchwood Care Services, so when she needed further care Birchwood House was a natural choice.
“Birchwood House is just so pleasant – both the staff and the surroundings,” said Kathleen.
Eileen, who passed away just before her 92nd birthday in 2017, spent two years at Birchwood House. “She was looked after by the home care side and I did her shopping, but after a few years I agreed with the carers that she couldn’t cope on her own,” explained Kathleen.
Eileen had spent some time at Birchwood House on a respite break, so a full-time move was the next step in her continued care. “It meant I didn’t have to worry about her being on her own. She didn’t want to leave her home at first, but soon joined in the activities at Birchwood and made some friends,” added Kathleen.
In the time Eileen spent at Birchwood House, Kathleen visited regularly and used to help out with activities and outings.
“We had outings to Hastings, Brighton Sea Life Centre and garden centres, which everyone enjoyed. It is a lovely place and the staff are all very friendly. It is so nice and clean and fresh, and mum enjoyed all her meals,” said Kathleen, who lives in Tonbridge. Kathleen, who lost her husband 10 years ago, has two grandchildren – Lyla, four, and baby Harper who keep her busy. Her mum is pictured here with Lyla when she was a baby.
Other articles you may like
- Pea and chicken risotto This delightful pea and chicken risotto is the perfect winter-warmer dish, full of hearty flavourContinue reading “Pea and chicken risotto”
- Introducing our new Lifestyle Lead: Elizabeth Penman-Green Elizabeth, known as Lizzie, brings a fun, enthusiastic energy and a wideContinue reading “Introducing our new lifestyle lead: Elizabeth Penman-Green”
- Here at Birchwood House, every day is dedicated to nurturing not just the physical health of our residents, butContinue reading “Mental Health Day 2023”
- Pasta Bolognese with Rocket and ParmesanPasta Bolognese with Rocket and Parmesan Delicious and bursting with nutritious ingredients, this month, chef John Anthony has cookedContinue reading “Pasta Bolognese with Rocket and Parmesan”
- Living with the seasons in care homes Care homes play a vital role in helping residents to experience theContinue reading “Living with the seasons in care homes”
- Mince Beef Cobbler Mince beef cobbler is the perfect dish to begin the transition into Autumn – seasonal, hearty,Continue reading “Mince Beef Cobbler”
- Proactive fall prevention in care homes For mature adults, small accidents like tripping on carpet or slipping in theContinue reading “Proactive fall prevention in care homes”
- Poached Pears in Red Wine Perfectly poached pears, served in the finest of red wine, Chef John Anthony hasContinue reading “Poached Pears in Red Wine”
- Celebrating Good Care Month at Birchwood House “Good Care Month” encourages the care community to take a moment toContinue reading “Celebrating Good Care Month at Birchwood House”