Choosing a home for a loved one is a considered decision, but one that Kathleen Holmwood made with ease. Her mum, Eileen, had been using Birchwood Care Services, so when she needed further care Birchwood House was a natural choice.
“Birchwood House is just so pleasant – both the staff and the surroundings,” said Kathleen.
Eileen, who passed away just before her 92nd birthday in 2017, spent two years at Birchwood House. “She was looked after by the home care side and I did her shopping, but after a few years I agreed with the carers that she couldn’t cope on her own,” explained Kathleen.
Eileen had spent some time at Birchwood House on a respite break, so a full-time move was the next step in her continued care. “It meant I didn’t have to worry about her being on her own. She didn’t want to leave her home at first, but soon joined in the activities at Birchwood and made some friends,” added Kathleen.
In the time Eileen spent at Birchwood House, Kathleen visited regularly and used to help out with activities and outings.
“We had outings to Hastings, Brighton Sea Life Centre and garden centres, which everyone enjoyed. It is a lovely place and the staff are all very friendly. It is so nice and clean and fresh, and mum enjoyed all her meals,” said Kathleen, who lives in Tonbridge. Kathleen, who lost her husband 10 years ago, has two grandchildren – Lyla, four, and baby Harper who keep her busy. Her mum is pictured here with Lyla when she was a baby.
Other articles you may like
- Looking after historic Birchwood House is Ian’s roleAfter 30 years in the building industry, Ian can turn his hand to many types of work. Which isContinue reading “Looking after historic Birchwood House is Ian’s role”
- Birchwood House residents travel back to medieval timesOur residents and staff travelled back in time to enjoy a medieval themed summer party held within our 9Continue reading “Birchwood House residents travel back to medieval times”
- Meet Activities Co-ordinator ZoeKeeping the residents at Birchwood House mentally and physically active is the job of Activities Co-ordinator Zoe. Zoe hasContinue reading “Meet Activities Co-ordinator Zoe”
- Choosing the right care home for a loved oneFinding the right care home for a loved one can be a stressful and challenging experience, and often oneContinue reading “Choosing the right care home for a loved one”
- Birchwood to host Summer Open Day in JuneWe are delighted to announce that Birchwood Care will be hosting an Open Day on Saturday 26th June from 2Continue reading “Birchwood to host Summer Open Day in June”
- Cream Tea Giveaway – who will you invite for tea?We’re giving away a Cream Tea for Two with the May issue of Birchwood Care and on our FacebookContinue reading “Cream Tea Giveaway – who will you invite for tea?”
- Holding hands with loved ones for visitors to Birchwood HouseFrom May 3rd visitors to Birchwood House will be able to hold hands and enjoy face-to-face conversations with theirContinue reading “Holding hands with loved ones for visitors to Birchwood House”
- Birchwood holds a fun-filled Mad Hatter’s tea party.Bringing a sense of fun and magic for residents this Easter. The staff at Birchwood House held a quirkyContinue reading “Birchwood holds a fun-filled Mad Hatter’s tea party.”
- Birchwood ‘a natural choice’ for Kathleen’s mumChoosing a home for a loved one is a considered decision, but one that Kathleen Holmwood made with ease.Continue reading “Birchwood ‘a natural choice’ for Kathleen’s mum”