Choosing a home for a loved one is a considered decision, but one that Kathleen Holmwood made with ease. Her mum, Eileen, had been using Birchwood Care Services, so when she needed further care Birchwood House was a natural choice.
“Birchwood House is just so pleasant – both the staff and the surroundings,” said Kathleen.
Eileen, who passed away just before her 92nd birthday in 2017, spent two years at Birchwood House. “She was looked after by the home care side and I did her shopping, but after a few years I agreed with the carers that she couldn’t cope on her own,” explained Kathleen.
Eileen had spent some time at Birchwood House on a respite break, so a full-time move was the next step in her continued care. “It meant I didn’t have to worry about her being on her own. She didn’t want to leave her home at first, but soon joined in the activities at Birchwood and made some friends,” added Kathleen.
In the time Eileen spent at Birchwood House, Kathleen visited regularly and used to help out with activities and outings.
“We had outings to Hastings, Brighton Sea Life Centre and garden centres, which everyone enjoyed. It is a lovely place and the staff are all very friendly. It is so nice and clean and fresh, and mum enjoyed all her meals,” said Kathleen, who lives in Tonbridge. Kathleen, who lost her husband 10 years ago, has two grandchildren – Lyla, four, and baby Harper who keep her busy. Her mum is pictured here with Lyla when she was a baby.
Other articles you may like
- Holding hands with loved ones for visitors to Birchwood HouseFrom May 3rd visitors to Birchwood House will be able to hold hands and enjoy face-to-face conversations with theirContinue reading “Holding hands with loved ones for visitors to Birchwood House”
- Birchwood holds a fun-filled Mad Hatter’s tea party.Bringing a sense of fun and magic for residents this Easter. The staff at Birchwood House held a quirkyContinue reading “Birchwood holds a fun-filled Mad Hatter’s tea party.”
- Birchwood ‘a natural choice’ for Kathleen’s mumChoosing a home for a loved one is a considered decision, but one that Kathleen Holmwood made with ease.Continue reading “Birchwood ‘a natural choice’ for Kathleen’s mum”
- The benefits of using the internet and modern technologySince the arrival of Covid-19 and having to live through lockdown in the last 12 months, the reliance onContinue reading “The benefits of using the internet and modern technology”
- What care options are available for those in later life?Families going through the emotional stress of placing a spouse or relative into care, often tell us they findContinue reading “What care options are available for those in later life?”
- Virtual tours help relatives find the right careWe’re well aware of the impact that Covid-19 has had on searching for a care home for a lovedContinue reading “Virtual tours help relatives find the right care”
- The skills and attributes you need to be a good carerThe skills and attributes needed to be a good carer. Whether you’re looking for a good care provider orContinue reading “The skills and attributes you need to be a good carer”
- White Christmas had by all at BirchwoodPulling out the stops for a fun and festive December. We went all out to make sure it wasContinue reading “White Christmas had by all at Birchwood”
- Maintaining positivity for residents and homecare clientsWell-being first for staff, residents & clients. We’re delighted to kick off a new initiative to show the smilingContinue reading “Maintaining positivity for residents and homecare clients”