Pea and chicken risotto
This delightful pea and chicken risotto is the perfect winter-warmer dish, full of hearty flavour and a healthy serving of protein. It’s a great addition to any recipe roster as the days grow shorter and colder, and is sure to be a hit just as it is with our residents.
- 2 tbsp of olive oil or sunflower oil
- 1 onion, cut in half, coarsely grated
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 250g of arborio risotto rice
- 100ml of white wine, dry vermouth or water
- 1 litre of chicken stock (can be made with 1 stock cube)
- 250g cooked chicken (leftovers can work great), skin removed, cut into small pieces
- 200g frozen peas
- 75g of Grana Padano or other hard Italian-style cheese, finely grated
- 25g of butter
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon juice and fresh rocket to serve
- Heat the oil in a large, non-stick saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and fry for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened and just beginning to colour.
- Add the risotto rice to the pan and stir well for 30-40 seconds, until the oil has coated the grains of rice. h
- Pour in half of the wine and allow to bubble for 30-40 seconds, then add all of the stock and bring to a boil, stirring well. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the rice is almost tender, and the risotto is creamy in appearance.
- Stir in the remaining wine, the chicken and the frozen peas, then continue to cook, stirring constantly, for a further 4-5 minutes, or until the chicken and peas are heated through and the rice is tender with a slight bite.
- Remove the pan from the heat, then stir in the butter and cheese. Season with black pepper. Cover the pan with a lid and set aside for 5 minutes before serving. Add lemon juice and fresh rocket before serving.
And that’s it! We hope you enjoy this warming peac and chicken risotto. Another delicious dish fit for the colder weather is our hearty winter soup. You can find the recipe here.