Keeping the residents at Birchwood House mentally and physically active is the job of Activities Co-ordinator Zoe.
Zoe has been at Birchwood for four years as night care staff but recently changed roles to take up the activity post, working alongside co-ordinator Amanda.
And Zoe is bubbling with ideas to keep the residents entertained and interacting with each other.
“We have made some pottery creations and will be painting the items this week, and we are planning an Ascot Ladies’ Day event later this month where we can make hats and watch the racing,” said Zoe.
On the physical side the residents enjoy balloon tennis played and chair exercises. There are also plans for flower arranging, basket weaving and candle making.
Staff and residents have really missed trips out of the home as these have not been allowed due to Covid-19, but when things open up there are plans to visit the seaside, have a pub lunch and go and watch the cricket on the village green.
“I have been chatting to the residents to find out where they would like to go when trips are allowed, and some of the ladies want to go clothes shopping or just to go out into the countryside,” added Zoe.
“We are also planning a spa day when the residents will get manicures, and they always enjoy games like hangman and bingo,” added Zoe.
For residents not able to join in the communal activities Zoe and Amanda do one-to-one sessions with them in their rooms, making things such as sun-catchers or just chatting.
“Many of the residents like to chat about when they were young and about their families, or about holiday memories, and I enjoy listening to them,” added Zoe.
Other articles you may like
- Pea and chicken risotto This delightful pea and chicken risotto is the perfect winter-warmer dish, full of hearty flavourContinue reading “Pea and chicken risotto”
- Introducing our new Lifestyle Lead: Elizabeth Penman-Green Elizabeth, known as Lizzie, brings a fun, enthusiastic energy and a wideContinue reading “Introducing our new lifestyle lead: Elizabeth Penman-Green”
- Here at Birchwood House, every day is dedicated to nurturing not just the physical health of our residents, butContinue reading “Mental Health Day 2023”
- Pasta Bolognese with Rocket and ParmesanPasta Bolognese with Rocket and Parmesan Delicious and bursting with nutritious ingredients, this month, chef John Anthony has cookedContinue reading “Pasta Bolognese with Rocket and Parmesan”
- Living with the seasons in care homes Care homes play a vital role in helping residents to experience theContinue reading “Living with the seasons in care homes”
- Mince Beef Cobbler Mince beef cobbler is the perfect dish to begin the transition into Autumn – seasonal, hearty,Continue reading “Mince Beef Cobbler”
- Proactive fall prevention in care homes For mature adults, small accidents like tripping on carpet or slipping in theContinue reading “Proactive fall prevention in care homes”
- Poached Pears in Red Wine Perfectly poached pears, served in the finest of red wine, Chef John Anthony hasContinue reading “Poached Pears in Red Wine”
- Celebrating Good Care Month at Birchwood House “Good Care Month” encourages the care community to take a moment toContinue reading “Celebrating Good Care Month at Birchwood House”