Singing From The Heart
Music has such an emotional pull, doesn’t it? It can make us laugh, cry, reflect – and it can soothe, stimulate and bring to mind long-forgotten memories. It’s especially important for older people – including those with dementia or Alzheimer’s as it can also trigger long forgotten memories.
Whether it’s stage musicals, sixties soul, 70s funk, operatic arias or songs from the silver screen, studies have shown that music promotes better health through the enjoyment of listening, dancing and singing. In other words, music makes us feel happy!
Singing in particular, whether alone or as part of a choir, is also known to have multiple benefits – physically, emotionally and even neurologically. It’s a great workout for the body, especially the lungs, and can make our breathing easier through a stronger diaphragm, as well as improving posture. Singing is also thought to improve sleep and as the act of singing triggers the release of feel-good chemicals such as dopamine, it’s also a natural anti-depressant. And for those who sing with a choir, they may find their self-confidence is boosted through interaction with other people – especially important for those with speech difficulties as a result of a stroke.
Here at Birchwood House, we love the sound of music – especially singing – and we’re thrilled to welcome the local Girl Guides from Speldhurst and the choir from the church, as they come to sing old songs for us before Christmas. Our residents also really enjoy visits from Paul who comes and sings with them once a month!
Ella Fitzgerald once said: “The only thing better than singing – is more singing”.
What kind of music do you love to sing along to? Here are some of our old favourites!
- The Andrews Sisters
- Benny Goodman
- Bing Crosby
- Glenn Miller
- Judy Garland
- Dinah Shore
- Doris Day
- Nat King Cole
- Patti Page
- Tony Bennett
- Dean Martin
- Connie Francis
- Elvis Presley
- Roy Orbison
- The Rolling Stones
- Simon & Garfunkel
- The Everly Brothers
- Frank Sinatra
- Sammy Davis, Jr.
- Aretha Franklin
- The Beatles
- Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons
Other articles you may like
- Maintaining positivity for residents and homecare clientsWell-being first for staff, residents & clients. We’re delighted to kick off a new initiative to show the smilingContinue reading “Maintaining positivity for residents and homecare clients”
- Brightening up the afternoon for one lucky winnerAfternoon tea winner announced, courtesy of Birchwood chef Anne Jones We wanted to do something to brighten up someone’sContinue reading “Brightening up the afternoon for one lucky winner”
- An unprecedented year in the life of a care homeReflections on an unprecedented year in the life of a care home Owner of Birchwood House and Care Services,Continue reading “An unprecedented year in the life of a care home”
- Harvest Hoedown extravaganzaBirchwood House hosts Harvest Hoedown extravaganza Birchwood House enjoyed a socially-distanced harvest festival in its grounds on Wednesday 9thContinue reading “Harvest Hoedown extravaganza”
- Take care of your mental health during lockdownTake care of your mental health during lockdown The lockdown that has been imposed by the Covid-19 outbreak hasContinue reading “Take care of your mental health during lockdown”
- The difference between a care home and a retirement villageThe difference between a care home and a retirement village As many enter the later stages of their life,Continue reading “The difference between a care home and a retirement village”
- An Introduction to Helen Geer – Manager of Birchwood HouseAn Introduction to Helen Geer – Manager of Birchwood House I have worked in care for 20 years andContinue reading “An Introduction to Helen Geer – Manager of Birchwood House”
- Looking after the elderly in summerLooking after the elderly in summer Although summer is only just upon us and we are probably yet toContinue reading “Looking after the elderly in summer”
- Looking after our care home residents during CoronavirusLooking after our care home residents during Coronavirus The current Covid-19 Pandemic has caused an enormous disruption to everyContinue reading “Looking after our care home residents during Coronavirus”