After 30 years in the building industry, Ian can turn his hand to many types of work. Which is a good job as he is in charge of our maintenance at Birchwood House.
Ian gets called upon to sort out plumbing, and electrics and also does decorating and many other jobs that are needed to keep a historic manor house in excellent condition.
When he’s not working Ian hatches ducks and chickens using his incubator and recently bought some ducklings to meet the residents, which went down really well.
Ian has worked at Birchwood House for two years and enjoys the environment and using his skills to help with the upkeep of the house. He also enjoys a shorter commute to work as his building work used to send him to many places.
Glorious gardens and wildlife
Nine acres of gardens are also under Ian’s care. There is a lot of woodland – with an annual display of beautiful bluebells – and a formal garden where the residents and staff can enjoy visits.
“The gardens have lots of activity with resident deer, foxes, badgers and pheasants,” said Ian, who also enjoys chatting to the residents when they are out in the grounds.
The waterways are Ian’s passion and when he’s not at work he can be found on the Medway in his motorboat.
Other articles you may like
- Pea and chicken risotto This delightful pea and chicken risotto is the perfect winter-warmer dish, full of hearty flavourContinue reading “Pea and chicken risotto”
- Introducing our new Lifestyle Lead: Elizabeth Penman-Green Elizabeth, known as Lizzie, brings a fun, enthusiastic energy and a wideContinue reading “Introducing our new lifestyle lead: Elizabeth Penman-Green”
- Here at Birchwood House, every day is dedicated to nurturing not just the physical health of our residents, butContinue reading “Mental Health Day 2023”
- Pasta Bolognese with Rocket and ParmesanPasta Bolognese with Rocket and Parmesan Delicious and bursting with nutritious ingredients, this month, chef John Anthony has cookedContinue reading “Pasta Bolognese with Rocket and Parmesan”
- Living with the seasons in care homes Care homes play a vital role in helping residents to experience theContinue reading “Living with the seasons in care homes”
- Mince Beef Cobbler Mince beef cobbler is the perfect dish to begin the transition into Autumn – seasonal, hearty,Continue reading “Mince Beef Cobbler”
- Proactive fall prevention in care homes For mature adults, small accidents like tripping on carpet or slipping in theContinue reading “Proactive fall prevention in care homes”
- Poached Pears in Red Wine Perfectly poached pears, served in the finest of red wine, Chef John Anthony hasContinue reading “Poached Pears in Red Wine”
- Celebrating Good Care Month at Birchwood House “Good Care Month” encourages the care community to take a moment toContinue reading “Celebrating Good Care Month at Birchwood House”