Summer arrives at Birchwood House
Summer is well and truly upon us and we’ve had a fabulous time thinking of some fun activities for our residents.
We understand the importance of staying active in later years – and that includes being socially active. While exercise is important for a high quality of life, the connections we make with others and the enjoyable times we can continue to have also have a major impact on overall wellness.
Some of our residents are fortunate to have family nearby and they love to go out for a day trip, home for lunch – or just for a cup of tea at one of the many local attractions close to Birchwood House, such as Penshurst Place, where they can enjoy the beautiful formal gardens and rolling views of the Kent countryside.
It’s easy to feel isolated the older we get, so for those who don’t have loved ones nearby, we ensure there’s always plenty to do – and to look forward to.
This summer we’ve organised a trip down to the Sea Life Centre in the heart of Brighton, a fabulous underwater emporium with an array of mesmerising sea creatures.
Our residents also voted for a trip to Middle Farm, near Lewes, home of The National Collection of Cider & Perry where visitors can sample and buy from a range of over 100 different draught ciders and perries (we’re just hoping our residents don’t get too tipsy!)
Tinkers Park in Hadlow Down houses The Claude Jessett Trust – a registered charity dedicated to ‘the preservation of vintage farming and construction implements and mechanical musical instruments’. A couple of enthusiastic Birchwood residents have taken to restoring steam trains and will be heading to Tinkers Park to enjoy a few afternoons indulging in their wonderful and unusual hobby!
Finally, we have a BBQ planned on Saturday August 3rd, to which our residents, their families and the wider community are all warmly invited. If you’d like to come along, please contact Helen on 01892 863559 to let her know, for catering numbers.
We hope you all have a fantastic Summer, whatever you’re doing!
Helen and all the team at Birchwood House
Other articles you may like
- Birchwood holds a fun-filled Mad Hatter’s tea party.Bringing a sense of fun and magic for residents this Easter. The staff at Birchwood House held a quirkyContinue reading “Birchwood holds a fun-filled Mad Hatter’s tea party.”
- Birchwood ‘a natural choice’ for Kathleen’s mumChoosing a home for a loved one is a considered decision, but one that Kathleen Holmwood made with ease.Continue reading “Birchwood ‘a natural choice’ for Kathleen’s mum”
- The benefits of using the internet and modern technologySince the arrival of Covid-19 and having to live through lockdown in the last 12 months, the reliance onContinue reading “The benefits of using the internet and modern technology”
- What care options are available for those in later life?Families going through the emotional stress of placing a spouse or relative into care, often tell us they findContinue reading “What care options are available for those in later life?”
- Virtual tours help relatives find the right careWe’re well aware of the impact that Covid-19 has had on searching for a care home for a lovedContinue reading “Virtual tours help relatives find the right care”
- The skills and attributes you need to be a good carerThe skills and attributes needed to be a good carer. Whether you’re looking for a good care provider orContinue reading “The skills and attributes you need to be a good carer”
- White Christmas had by all at BirchwoodPulling out the stops for a fun and festive December. We went all out to make sure it wasContinue reading “White Christmas had by all at Birchwood”
- Maintaining positivity for residents and homecare clientsWell-being first for staff, residents & clients. We’re delighted to kick off a new initiative to show the smilingContinue reading “Maintaining positivity for residents and homecare clients”
- Brightening up the afternoon for one lucky winnerAfternoon tea winner announced, courtesy of Birchwood chef Anne Jones We wanted to do something to brighten up someone’sContinue reading “Brightening up the afternoon for one lucky winner”