What’s the difference between a care home and a nursing home?
Finding the right residential care home for an elderly loved one can be an emotional and stressful process; getting it right is crucial. Understanding the options available so you can find the best care is a good start, but it’s important to start by recognising the differences between a care home and a nursing home.
While both provide accommodation, round-the-clock supervision from skilled carers, meals and assistance with personal care such as bathing and shaving, a residential care home, such as Birchwood House, will provide a ‘home from home’, enabling residents to live as fulfilling lives as possible, maintaining their independence, dignity and mobility. As well as providing support with meals, bathing and medication, residents will be encouraged to continue doing the activities they enjoy, making sure their usual routine can continue even after moving in.
Nursing homes are similar to residential care homes, but with trained nurses on duty, providing care for people with more complex needs, such as dementia, Parkinson’s, stroke rehabilitation or who need other, regular nursing interventions.
While Birchwood House is not a nursing home, our highly qualified manager and senior care staff will provide your loved one with 24-hour care and support and should medical intervention be required, we call upon health professionals and experts, local doctors, district nurses and Hospice in the Weald.
Many people consider moving into a care home as a last resort, a loss of independence. Not at Birchwood. We pride ourselves on giving our residents a family-friendly, comfortable home from home where they can meet new friends, explore new interests, enjoy good food, regular excursions and seasonal parties. Our aim is to improve residents’ quality of life whilst maintaining their freedom – our team is there to simply offer a helping hand when they need it.
Other articles you may like
- Take care of your mental health during lockdownTake care of your mental health during lockdown The lockdown that has been imposed by the Covid-19 outbreak hasContinue reading “Take care of your mental health during lockdown”
- The difference between a care home and a retirement villageThe difference between a care home and a retirement village As many enter the later stages of their life,Continue reading “The difference between a care home and a retirement village”
- An Introduction to Helen Geer – Manager of Birchwood HouseAn Introduction to Helen Geer – Manager of Birchwood House I have worked in care for 20 years andContinue reading “An Introduction to Helen Geer – Manager of Birchwood House”
- Looking after the elderly in summerLooking after the elderly in summer Although summer is only just upon us and we are probably yet toContinue reading “Looking after the elderly in summer”
- Looking after our care home residents during CoronavirusLooking after our care home residents during Coronavirus The current Covid-19 Pandemic has caused an enormous disruption to everyContinue reading “Looking after our care home residents during Coronavirus”
- An Introduction to Claire – Deputy Manager of Birchwood HouseAn Introduction to Claire – Deputy Manager of Birchwood House I’ve worked in the care industry for 21 years. Continue reading “An Introduction to Claire – Deputy Manager of Birchwood House”
- Is A Care Home Or Assisted Living More Appropriate?Is A Care Home Or Assisted Living More Appropriate? There are a number of signs to look out forContinue reading “Is A Care Home Or Assisted Living More Appropriate?”
- Choosing The Location Of Your Care HomeChoosing The Location Of Your Care Home Finding a care home for a loved one can be an extremelyContinue reading “Choosing The Location Of Your Care Home”
- Life as a Birchwood House CarerLife as a Birchwood House Carer As the UK population continues to age, care workers and care homes willContinue reading “Life as a Birchwood House Carer”