Deliciously Creamy Lemon Posset Tart
Last month, our new chef, John Anthony shared his take on Chicken a la King, which was a massive hit with our residents at Birchwood House. This month, he shares his recipe for the perfect dessert – a deliciously creamy lemon posset tart. And we must admit, it tasted even better than it looked.
Keep reading to learn how you can bake up this delicious tart in the comfort of your own home.
- 50g butter, cut into pieces
- 140g plain flour
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tbsp extra virgin rapeseed oil
- 1 medium egg yolk
Ingredients: The filling
- 170ml cream
- 2 tbsp finely grated lemon zest (about four lemons)
- 125ml lemon juice (four-five lemons)
- Rub the butter into the flour until the mix looks like fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the icing sugar, then make a well and use a round-bladed knife to stir in the oil, egg yolk and 1½-2 tbsp cold water until the dough comes together. Without overhandling, gather into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll it out so it fits a 23 x 2cm loose-bottom flan tin. Ease the pastry into the tin, then trim the edges by rolling the rolling pin over the top.
- Press the pastry into the flutes so it sits very slightly proud of the edge (this extra height helps in case of any shrinkage). Lightly prick the pastry base with a fork, then chill for about 10 mins. Heat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Heat the cream to boil then simmer add the lemon juice and sugar de solve.
- Sit the chilled pastry case on a baking sheet. Line with baking parchment and baking beans and bake blind for 20 mins until well set. Carefully lift out the beans and paper, then bake the pastry case for another 3-5 mins until the base is cooked and pale golden.
- Strain the lemon mixture through a sieve. Beat the crème fraîche in a medium bowl until smooth, then slowly stir in the lemon mixture until well blended. Transfer to a jug, then carefully pour two thirds into the warm pastry case.
- Place in the oven with the oven shelf half out, pour in the rest of the filling, then carefully slide the shelf back in. Reduce the heat to 150C/130C fan/gas 2. Bake for 25-30 mins until barely set with a slight wobble in the middle.
- Cool for about 1 hr, then serve with a light dusting of icing sugar. Best eaten the same day
- KCal: 186
- Fat: 9g
- Saturates: 4g
- Carbs: 24g
- Sugars: 15g
- fibre: 0g
- Protein: 4g
- Low in salt: 0.14g