Responsible to: Home Manager/deputy manager
The primary and most important aspects of the role:
- To plan, deliver and provide nutritious meals to all the residents on a daily basis that meet their clinical, social, cultural and spiritual needs
- To plan and evolve a menu that provides choice, variety and involvement of the residents living at Birchwood
- Ensure that food purchased is fresh and within allocated budget
- To ensure that food is presented in a way that is appealing to the residents and supports the home with its goals and aspirations to develop the quality of service
- Alongside the deputy manager audit and develop the overall dining experience for all residents
- Lead and guide the team in the kitchen to excel with quality food produced and high standards of practice, hygiene and cleanliness
- Maintain the five-star EHO rating of the home
- Keep yourself and the practice of the kitchen team up to date in terms of changes of legislation and good methods of practice
Is the home safe?
- Adhere to Birchwood policies and procedures and support to develop new ones relating to the kitchen
- Ensure that all equipment is in good order, well maintained and clean and any defects reported to the Home Manager, deputy manager or owner
- Maintain and check first aid equipment in the kitchen
- Carry out good food management, temperature controls, probe calibration and HACCP documentation according to the current food hygiene regulations
- Ensure the kitchen is a safe environment at all times, that risk assessments are completed and regularly reviewed and measures are in place to manage risk
Is the home effective?
- Ensure that an excellent standard of hygiene and cleanliness is maintained throughout the kitchen, to meet the required standards of practice prescribed by the Environmental Health Agency
- Purchase supplies in accordance with the planned menu, whilst monitoring and controlling the service from suppliers
- Ensure stock is ordered that is consistent with planned menus that reflect choice, need and preference
- Maintain an accurate stock control
- Be responsible for maintaining an annual catering budget within set parameters agreed by the provider and the Home Manager
- Maintain accurate records linked to the spending in the kitchen
Is the home caring?
- Work closely with the Deputy Manager and Team Leaders to provide a direct link to care planning in meeting nutritional and clinical needs, as well as choice and preference
Is the home responsive?
- Report and record any information deemed to be important to the Home Manager and Deputy Manager
- To prepare, cook and present well balanced meals and beverages to the highest quality incorporating cultural, clinical and dietary needs of the residents
- Work closely with residents to plan menus that reflect choice and preferences
- Spend time with residents, team members and families in deliberately courting feedback in a formal and recorded manner to improve the quality of food produced and expand choice
Is the home well-led?
- Participate in team meetings
- Research and develop strong relationships with local suppliers to ensure the best quality and price for the home
- Work closely with the Home Manager, by maintaining the catering budget and open communicating ideas for change and development
- Provide the kitchen team with effective and consistent formal supervision and appraisal
- Direct and supervise all kitchen staff and ensure that they are aware of their responsibilities with regards to food hygiene, legislation, preparation, record keeping and health and safety requirements
- Create opportunity to develop skills in your team and empower team members to take on new roles
- To act at all times in a manner that promotes the well-being of the residents at all time
- To act at all times in a manner which promotes the company’s best interests
- To maintain at all times a dress code appropriate to the working environment and the company
- To act at all times in a manner which promotes harmonious working relationships with all colleagues and outside agencies
- To undertake any training necessary for the completion of your duties
- To develop and review all the company’s policies and abide by them, whilst leading by example in all you do
This job description indicates only the main duties and responsibilities of the post of registered manager. It is not intended as an exhaustive list and will be subject to additions and change in discussion with the provider. Any changes will be discussed with you directly and you will be informed of contractual changes in writing.